Friday, February 10, 2006

LAW: Treatment For Substance "Use"

It is now being refered to as the DUI Industry and it is a billion dollar a year business. You can expect $6000 to come right out of your pocket and that does not include, future insurance rates, loss of work, inability to work, or the court ordered substance abuse treatment. What is wrong with substance abuse treatment you ask, first everyone that gets a DUI is not an alcoholic, in fact with the .08 per se laws I imagine the percentage is lower than one could expect. Second, the certificate to make an evaluation requires a fee and a short class, and the person fills out a form, no medical or psycological training is needed. Third, treatment should be retained for those in need, but the DUI industry continued to lower the evaluation standards until the net was big enough to catch every one.
Researchers and clinicians in the United States usually rely on the DSM diagnostic criteria. The evolution of diagnostic criteria for behavioral disorders involving alcohol reached a turning point in 1980 with the publication of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition (14). In DSM-III, for the first time, the term "alcoholism" was dropped in favor of two distinct categories labeled "alcohol abuse" and "alcohol dependence" (1,2,12,15). In a further break from the past, DSM-III included alcohol abuse and dependence in the category "substance use disorders" rather than as subsets of personality disorders (1,2,12).

The DSM was revised again in 1987 (DSM-III-R) (16). In DSM-III-R, the category of dependence was expanded to include some criteria that in DSM-III were considered symptoms of abuse. For example, the DSM-III-R described dependence as including both physiological symptoms, such as tolerance and withdrawal, and behavioral symptoms, such as impaired control over drinking (17). In DSM-III-R, abuse became a residual category for diagnosing those who never met the criteria for dependence, but who drank despite alcohol-related physical, social, psychological, or occupational problems, or who drank in dangerous situations, such as in conjunction with driving (17).

This conceptualization seems to allow the clinician to classify meaningful aspects of a patient's behavior even when that behavior was not clearly associated with dependence. Quote,"...who drank in dangerous situations, such as in conjunction with driving." All DUI convicts have substance use disorders, or are alcohol dependant, or simply put can shell some of their money out to the medical side of the DUI industry, don't believe me-"Diagnostic criteria allow clinicians to plan treatment and monitor treatment progress;...help health care insurers to decide whether treatment will be reimbursed; and allow patients access to medical insurance coverage (1-3)."

Linda Grant, executive director of treatment provider Evergreen Manor Inc. in Everett, said," "It's not that we don't want to see good quality work, and everybody tries for that,". "The vast majority of treatment providers really do want to do the right thing, but this is not a science. It's an art..."
Defined Art is - 1)Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.
2) Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
My opinion, this is much like the art that allows the NHTSA to defy the Data Quality Act!
The study from Columbia University's National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) claims that adults who drink excessively and youths who drink illegally account for over half of the alcohol consumed in the United States..."Excessive drinking" sounds like it refers to people that have a serious alcohol problem. But the study significantly lowers the bar on "excessive," by defining it as any more than two drinks per day. That means that one glass of wine or beer at lunch and dinner and a brandy at bedtime makes you an "excessive" drinker.

Tough love, more punishment, this is one of the most pernicious myths about dealing with drug problems. Confrontational and humiliating "attack therapy" — often used in rehabs — actually increases the chances of relapse and treatment drop-out. People threatened with prison if they don’t quit drugs are no more likely to succeed in treatment than those who seek help on their own, according to a summary of the research published by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Tough interventions — which threaten loss of employment or relationships if the person doesn’t shape up immediately — have resulted in suicides as well as recovery. "There is no doubt that aggressive, hostilely confrontational treatment protocols do more harm than good,"

Even though a client may be innocent they probably feel it necessary to plead guilty in hopes of a lighter sentence, one where the defendant may resume daily life with added treatment as opposed to incarcaration. I have seen this all too often! A vicious circle, and punishment for a disease that one may or may not have...

REFERENCE:
http://ridl.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=962
http://www.stats.org/record.jsp?type=news&ID=427

HOME

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I've never been required to undergo treatment for substance abuse or any other "mental illness", I've had several friends who were thrust into the hands of those that "treat" people as a profession. What I observed was not good.

Nurse Ratched is alive and well. If you won't acknowledge that you have a problem or an illness, you are in "denial". Disagree with the staff on your treatment plan, means you refuse treatment for your disorder and is evidence of the need for judicial commitment.

The people running the substance abuse rehab and the 12 step problems work from a set of assumptions regarding treatment derived without any sort of clinical controls. Now if you should dare to question the effectiveness of their program because of this lack of control groups, they will go totally ballistic on you. You'll be accussed of "killing people" with your negitive attitude. Scary. Very Scary.

Bottom line: It's a business and they need customers. Even if you don't need treatment....

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been convicted of two dui's within a five year period..the first was solely for driving under the influence of my prescribed medications and the second was my prescribed meds and alcohol. In Florida this crime is punished harshly and there is no difference in punishment because of drugs or alcohol. I am now required to have the interlock device on my vehicle for twelve consecutive months in order to obtain a buisness purposes only license or to regain my normal license when 2011 rolls around. I live alone in a rural part of Florida and need to drive...but the "program" is cost prohibitive and my only income is social security disability. Somthing really needs to be done.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please go to facebook.com and search for scram lawsuit add your comments and read our notes. I am looking at going to prison for not drinking, pretty amazing. Our 6th amendment rights are being smashed and its time that AMS is stopped. I was not drinking, hadnt been drinking, I a being accused and yet I was at work with employees to verify, can pass a polygraph which I am in the process of doing now. If you or someone you know has been accused or is in jail NOW due to this faulty piece of electronics please contact us, united we stand, divided we fall.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please go to facebook.com and search for scram lawsuit add your comments and read our notes. I am looking at going to prison for not drinking, pretty amazing. Our 6th amendment rights are being smashed and its time that AMS is stopped. I was not drinking, hadnt been drinking, I a being accused and yet I was at work with employees to verify, can pass a polygraph which I am in the process of doing now. If you or someone you know has been accused or is in jail NOW due to this faulty piece of electronics please contact us, united we stand, divided we fall.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suicide not rehabilitation is how the system gets to you with DUI. Even if you are a wonderful person and make one or two mistakes in your life - like me - old DUI 11 years ago - 2nd in nov. of 2010 - loss of job, family, freedom, tens of thousands of dollars, can drive but have to go to classes - how do I get there, jail time, the list just keeps on going on. 'm checking out - can't take it anymore. Been in AA SOBER & helping other alcoholics and addicts for years. Never committed a crime - No lode left - goodbye!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Sam's Story said...

My name is Sam and this is my story,

That night my boyfriend and I went to watch the hockey game. There's a bar maybe 5 minutes away from his house. We shared beer wings and shooters and when our team won we cheers'd one last shot.

Our walk home was fairly noisy but quick. My boyfriend gets angry with me when he drinks. The rest of my night was just like the rest though... He always says he's sorry but when he's drunk he forgets.

I stayed there that night regardless, I figured he would calm down in the morning. But at 9am I woke up to him pulling me out of the bed.... He had gone to the fridge and drank more while I slept.... I left that morning i had to. wondering if I would blow over was not on my mind.

I got pulled over for speeding and refused to blow. I thought why even take the risk I'll fight it in court. I wish I would have just blown and taken a chance the last drink I had was around 12. That morning ruined my life... shortly after I lost my job, my career that I spent two years of school gone, I caught my boyfriend sleeping with his "friend".

I currently pay 1130$ for insurance from 325$, I've racked up all kinds of debt trying to pay to get by....

I understand that drinking and driving is wrong I planned that night to not drive. That was a year ago now and I would do anything to just go back and take that test...

Everything I worked for even through the tough times, my dreams and goals their non-existent anymore. I was so down on myself I tried to stay positive I applied as a volunteer in my community but even there they didn't want me. it's one thing to punish people for doing bad I don't disagree...

but to kill someone and allow them to live...
no one deserves that not even me.

My name is Sam. I am 23.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Michael Geoff` said...

I read your blog and this is impressing blog. I am appreciate your efforts. Substance abuse treatment bakersfield ca providing substance abuse treatment Bakersfield CA who is giving best treatment to for individuals and their families seeking relief from behavioral health issues.

6:16 AM  
Blogger lawyer said...

https://writer.zohopublic.com/writer/published/egevp3ec33ff8356648d79e73d666452adab1

2:20 AM  
Blogger Voice It Aloud said...

Thanks for suggesting good list. I appreciate your work this is really helpful for everyone. Get more information at Substance abuse forum. Keep posting such useful information.

4:16 AM  
Blogger aspirecounselingservice said...

I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me. And I’m glad to read your article. Thank you for sharing. Drug Abuse Fresno

6:36 AM  
Blogger Fuck you said...

Wow: did Did you just simply pick out what you wanted to read? She is not an alcoholic; so stop suggesting treatment!! what she needs is for her government to actually follow it’s fucking constitution!

8:50 PM  
Blogger James Franklin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:01 PM  
Blogger James Franklin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:01 PM  
Blogger klaus said...

CBT is a standard method of treatment nowadays. Exposure treatment teaches the patient alternative ways of seeing and reacting to stressful circumstances to lessen the adverse effects of anxiety. The therapist cincinnati also offers encouragement and direction while imparting valuable life skills.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home